What Is The Best Dry Dog Food For Diabetic Dogs
The Best Dry Dog Food for Diabetic Dogs
Dogs are no exception in diseases like diabetes. Dog diabetes is also called “Canine Diabetes.” Just like human diabetes, this disease affects your dog’s insulin production.
A proper diet should be able to help you manage canine diabetes. But, before that, what exactly is diabetes in dogs?
What is Doggie Diabetes?
Canine Diabetes is basically a lack of insulin in your dog’s body. When dogs eat their food, glucose is a component of the food they ate. Insulin hormones carry glucose to cells for energy production.
What happens with dog Diabetes is that your dog’s body cannot produce insulin by itself or isn’t used properly by the body. So in that context, if the body isn’t able to produce insulin, glucose won’t be transported to their respective cells. This all means that your dog’s glucose levels will rise, leading to unpleasant side effects.
What Human Food Can Diabetic Dogs Eat?
Most human foods aren’t recommended to be fed to dogs; however, it can be an exemption. There are several human foods that a Diabetic dog can eat.
Vegetables that are Good for Diabetic Dogs to Eat:
- Winter Squash
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Green Beans
- Leafy Salad Greens
- Pea pods
Grains that are good for Diabetic Dogs to Eat:
- Brown Rice
- Wild Rice
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Whole Oats
- Whole Grain Corn
- Whole Rye
- Whole Grain Barley
- Whole Farro
What should a Diabetic Dog Not Eat?
As you know, diabetes is an influx of glucose (sugar) in a dog’s body, so adding more would be a bad idea for your dog’s health. Any treats or scraps that contain sugary products or sweeteners are a big NO.
Veterinarians recommend feeding your dogs fewer dog treats, saying it can affect the balance of your dog’s diet as well as increase glucose levels.
You must avoid giving sugar or food rich in sugar to your dog, as this could raise their blood sugar levels. This is an important step for your dog’s recovery. So make sure never to give in to what your dog wants, no matter how much they beg you to.
Best Food for Diabetic Dogs
Orijen Six Fish Grain Free for Adults
Orijen is one of the best dry dog food brands, and even in sickness Orijen still prevails.
You might notice that your pet had a surprising weight loss. Don’t worry too much, Orijen has your back covered.
Try feeding this dog food to your dog. This grain-free dry dog food will help dogs immediately gain back the weight they lost. And in the process, this diabetic dog food also boosts their muscles to keep your dog lean and strong. It’s rich in animal proteins from fish meat.
- Orijen Dry Dog Food, Six Fish Formula. 13 LB. Bag. (PACIFIC PILCHARD, MACKEREL, HAKE, FLOUNDER, ROCKFISH & SOLE).
- 1/3 of fish are gently dried at 90°C from fresh whole fish to create a concentrated source of richly nourishing protein that cannot be supplied by fresh fish alone. Nutrient-dense WholePrey ratios of fresh whole fish (including fish, organs, and cartilage) provide virtually every nutrient your dog needs to thrive – only zinc and copper are added. Infusions of freeze-dried cod liver enhance flavour naturally, making ORIJEN deliciously tasty, even for fussy eaters.
- 85% MEAT | 15% FRUITS & VEGETABLES Fresh whole pacific pilchard (18%), fresh whole pacific mackerel (13%), fresh whole pacific hake (12%), fresh whole pacific flounder (5%), fresh whole rockfish (5%), fresh whole sole (5%), whole mackerel (dehydrated, 5%), whole herring (dehydrated, 5%), alaskan cod (dehydrated, 4.5%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 4.5%), whole blue whiting (dehydrated, 4%), herring oil (4%), whole red lentils, whole green lentils, whole green peas, lentil fiber, whole chickpeas, w
- AN UNMATCHED DIVERSITY OF FRESH, WHOLE AND WILD-CAUGHT FISH FROM VANCOUVER ISLAND’S COLD PACIFIC WATERS. With 38% richly nourishing protein, and a limited 18% low-glycemic carbohydrates, ORIJEN SIX FISH nourishes dogs of all life stages according to their evolutionary and biological needs. Unmatched by any other dog food, 2/3 of ORJEN’s fish are FRESH (refrigerated, without preservatives) or RAW (flash-frozen, without preservatives), including the top 6 fish ingredien
Your pup will be fine once they’re able to taste this delight! One of the best foods for dogs with diabetes, protein-rich, and grain-free!
Believe it or not, the animal protein they include are grown free-run, which makes this particular formula poultry free-run. This is apparent in their listed ingredients as well. The poultry meats used to make this formula are free-run Cobb chicken, free-run Tom Turkey, and nest-laid eggs.
Acana Heritage Free Run Poultry Formula Dog Food
Acana is also a premium dog food brand that provides the best foods available to dogs and promises to help your pup be the healthiest dog around. They focus more on supplying protein than carbs, making this a great pick for a diabetic dog.
It also contains healthy vegetable options that add in essential nutrients aside from proteins and grains.
- Crafted with Fresh and Raw Ingredients: Matches the natural diets and physiology of dogs to best meet their natural nutritional needs
- Grain-Free and High-Protein: High in protein and full of key nutrients with fresh or raw animal ingredients, whole vegetables, fruits, and botanicals
- Made in the USA: Formulated in our state-of-the-art Kitchen using only ingredients from trusted sources; packaging may vary
- Nutrition for All Life Stages: Free of grain, gluten, potato, and tapioca ingredients, making it a nourishing food for dogs of all ages
- No Artificial Colors or Preservatives: We skip the artificial ingredients in our Kitchen and provide key nutrients dogs n
If you’re looking for locally grown high-quality protein ingredients, fewer carbs, high in protein, and a guaranteed healthy pup, Acana hears you and urges fur parents to try this formula for their dogs.
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dog Food
Wellness never fails to keep up with current dog food brands in providing only the best dog foods around.
This 100% grain-free dog food is the perfect complete and balanced choice for dogs with diabetes. This food is a high-protein meal and is packed with the essential vitamins and minerals that your pet needs.
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOGS BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive and no fillers
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT with guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
- Manufactured in a facility that also processes gra
Since this product is free from grains, it’s ideal for diabetic dogs. And the product also presents probiotics and antioxidants, and appropriate fibers to keep the blood sugar levels balanced. Sounds like a package deal!
What Should Diabetic Dog Food Consist Of?
Pet parents should be careful in choosing the kind of food to feed their diabetic dog and always consult a vet for proper prescription dog food.
Ideally, diabetic dog food should consist of 20%-25% of dry matter carbs. Anything higher than that could be too much for a diabetic dog. Since carbohydrates contain sugar, fur parents should steer clear from this as much as possible.
If you gave your dog more carbs than they’re supposed to get, more sugar would be produced in their body, which can increase their body’s blood glucose levels.
Vets recommend a fiber-rich diet for your diabetic pups. This is essential for minimizing blood sugar spikes and regulating your pup’s blood glucose levels. If you’re having trouble choosing which fiber-rich dog food to pick, consult your local vet to know which fibers are the best fit for your pup.
How Often Should I Feed My Diabetic Dog?
Once you’ve found the perfect diabetic dog food, you’ll need to know how often you have to feed it to your pooch. Like how you would feed a dog with no known health conditions, there should also be a regulated meal frequency for your Diabetic dogs.
Meal frequency for diabetic dogs depends on how dependent they are in insulin. Most commonly, diabetic dogs are fed two meals a day with even intervals between meals. This is to ensure that you’re feeding your dog when their insulin is active.
It’s important that, as a fur parent, you stick to this feeding routine. Don’t just feed your dogs whenever and however. There should be consistency to make sure blood sugar levels won’t spike during the day.
When you’ve found the perfect dog food for your pooch, try to stick to that one kind.
Is Your Pet Food Dangerous?
Every year, hundreds of pet foods are recalled due to contamination. Don’t let your pet become a statistic. Get pet food recall warnings delivered directly to your inbox.
Pet Food Recalls
We care about your pets. Be the first to know about pet food recalls and pet care products.
Sign up to get notifications delivered to your inbox.